This recipe is best when made the day before.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 ½-4 lbs. (1.5-1.8 kg) boneless, skinless turkey breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) bottled Tandoori sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned, crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) 5% cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) homogenized milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Toss turkey with vegetable oil and tandoori sauce and spread it evenly on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- While the turkey is roasting, melt a few tablespoons of butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion is translucent. Add ginger and continue to sauté for 10 minutes or until onions start to turn golden-brown.
- Remove turkey from oven and set aside.
- Add remaining butter along with crushed tomatoes, cream, milk, salt, cayenne, cumin and garam masala to onion and ginger mixture and simmer for 5 minutes. Add roasted turkey and lemon juice and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve over rice, sprinkled generously with fresh cilantro leaves.
Nutritional InformationPer serving