Grilled Turkey Thighs:
• 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 3 Tbsp(45 mL) olive oil
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
• 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
• 2 tsp (10 mL) ground chipotle
• 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
• 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
• 3 turkey thighs (approx. 2 ½ to 3 lbs/1 – 1.5 kg)
• 2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
• ¼ cup (60 mL) finely diced yellow onion
• 1½ cups (375 mL) long grain rice
• 3 cups (750 mL) low-sodium poultry broth
• 1 plum tomato, finely diced
• ½ tsp (2.5 mL) kosher salt
• ½ tsp (2.5 mL) ground turmeric
• ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) ground cumin
• Pinch saffron
• ¼ cup (60 mL) roughly chopped cilantro
• Canned black beans, rinsed and drained
• Canned corn, rinsed and drained
• Diced tomatoes
• Diced red onion
• Sliced avocado
• Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
• Fresh lime juice
• Roughly chopped Romaine lettuce
• Roughly chopped cilantro
Marinate and Grill the Turkey:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, and salt.
2. Remove the skin from the turkey thighs and discard. Place the thighs in a large zip-top plastic bag, and pour in the marinade. Shake well until the turkey is well coated all over, then transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours (or preferably overnight).
3. When ready to cook, preheat a lightly oiled gas or charcoal grill on medium-high heat.
4. Grill the turkey thighs over indirect heat with the lid closed, turning occasionally, until a meat thermometer registers 165F (74C), about 30-40 minutes. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
Prepare the Rice:
1. While the turkey is grilling, prepare the rice. In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in olive oil until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the rice, and stir until coated all over with oil. Stir in the poultry broth, chopped tomato, salt, turmeric, cumin, and saffron. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Remove from heat. Cover the lid with a clean dishcloth, and let stand until ready to assemble the bowls.
Assemble the Bowls:
1. Remove the turkey meat from the bones, and chop into bite-sized pieces.
2. Using a fork, fluff up the rice and distribute among four large, shallow bowls. Divide the chopped turkey among the bowls, then let everyone garnish their bowl with their favourite toppings. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Isabelle Boucher (www.crumbblog.com) via Tasty Turkey recipe site