Thai Coconut Turkey Soup
Credit- Recipe and photo courtesy of Turkey farmers of Ontario
- 4 cups poultry or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemon grass (optional)
- 1 lemon, zested, retain juice
- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb turkey, cut into bite sized strips
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Soya Sauce
- 3 Cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh Thai or regular basil, chopped
1. In a large pot, combine stock, ginger, lemon grass, lemon and lime zest. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Add coconut milk, red pepper flakes, turkey, lemon and lime juice, sugar and soya sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes or until turkey is cooked through.
3. Add mushrooms and red pepper and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
4. Remove lemon grass stalks, stir in green onions and serve.
Note: Add some cooked basmati rice for a complete meal in a bowl!