Who doesn’t love the mouth watering aroma and flavour barbecuing adds to seasonal cook outs? That said, many of our barbecue options aren’t as healthy as they are tasty. And, since summer is the season of lighter clothes (and bathing suits) it makes sense that we’re more conscious of our fat and calorie intake at this time of year. But don’t despair! This doesn’t mean you have to leave your barbecue covered and restrict your diet to leafy greens for these warmer months. Lean, healthy and versatile turkey is perfect for your waistline, overall health, and your grill.
Not only will barbecued turkey absorb all the distinct flavours you choose to add, but this lean protein lets you escape pesky flare ups on your grill (and keeps your eyebrows safe). Whether you want a luscious cut for a chic dinner party, a juicy burger to feel more indulgent, or a summer staple hot dog (an all-time fav for the kids)…we’ve got you covered!
Let us inspire you with some simple yet sublime barbecued turkey options:
You’re not limited to whole birds, breasts or drumsticks at JD Farms. We proudly offer you a variety of options to keep your meals not only nourishing, but interesting too. Check out the below list to see some of the options that work brilliantly on your barbecue :
- Plain or Marinated Breasts (marinade options include applewood bbq, honey garlic, teriyaki, & sweet chili lime)
- Whole birds
- Legs, thighs, drumsticks, wings & drumettes
- Ground turkey breast or mixed ground (dark & white meat)
- Hot dogs, prepared burger patties, smokies/sausages
Our store stocks an array of ready made & delectable sauces to add flavour to your choice of meat. But if you feel inspired to customize the flavour of your bird “from scratch” we recommend trying a simple and delicious “rub”, like this “Jerk Rub” below:
Jerk Turkey Rub
This Jerk seasoning adds fantastic flavour to barbecued turkey, and you can make it mild or as spicy & fiery as you like. You’ll want to work this rub under the skin (unless you’ve chosen a skinless cut) since the skin won’t let the rub fully permeate the meat.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup allspice
- ⅓ cup refined/white sugar
- ¼ cup sea salt or himalayan pink salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon powdered smoke flavouring (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, and increase or decrease based on your spice tolerance)
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle pepper (optional, and increase or decrease based on your spice tolerance)
Now simply combine all ingredients together and add more cayenne and/or chipotle if you want a little more kick. You can make this rub ahead of time and store in an airtight container in a cool cupboard for up to six months (as long as rub hasn’t come into contact with raw meat). Bon appetit!
And your options at JD Farms don’t end with your “main attraction”…
Of course the thought of getting home and cooking over a hot stove, or firing up your oven on an already sweltering summer day, isn’t exactly appealing. We want you to savour the upcoming sunny days. And to that end, we also offer you some scintillating side dishes to speed up your barbecue meal planning and prep. There’s no need to make multiple stops for all your meal needs.
Below are just a few of the side dish options we create in house & fresh for you (and if you don’t see one you love here, follow this link https://jdfarms.ca/take-home-soups-salads/ to see some more of our inspired side dishes):
Some traditional sides:
- Greek Salad – fresh vegetables drizzled in a Greek feta sauce, topped with crumbled feta and parmesan cheese
- Broccoli Salad – broccoli, green onions, sunflower seeds, cottage roll, cheddar cheese, miracle whip & sour cream
- Classic Coleslaw – green cabbage, purple cabbage, shredded carrot, green apples, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds & house made coleslaw sauce
- Quinoa Salad – quinoa, dried cranberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, red & yellow peppers, chickpeas, carrots, feta cheese and house made vinaigrette
- Mexican Yam Salad – yams, black beans, corn, roasted peppers, fresh cilantro, house made seasoning (including paprika & cajun spice)
If summer had a single defining scent, it would be a bouquet of barbecue. Come visit us at JD Farms Specialty Turkey this summer and enjoy your barbecue nights with a healthy and delicious protein. And keep in mind how amazing your leftover barbecued turkey will be for a perfect picnic lunch.